Saturday, April 21, 2007

Runway in... sight?

Whoa, dude. I flew my first CAT II landing yesterday.

Whoa.

For the non-aviation types out there, that means I landed the jet (simulator) with 100 foot ceilings and 1200 feet visibility. Looks a little like this:







(This is a BBJ's Heads-up Display, I know... but it's similar to my HUD. Picture is of actual CATII conditions! Woohoo!)






Only two words in the English lexicon can describe this feeling:

"Sweet" "Bejesus"

I saw the runway just in time for the main gear to touch down.

Again, I must repeat: whoa.


In other news
LL and I watched Born Into Brothels last night. (Highly reccommend, if you're in the mood for it.) It's a documentary about the kids raised in the Red Light District of Calcutta. It was inspiring and depressing at the same time.

"Hello? Peace Corps? Yeah.... um... hypthetically speaking, do you have any need for pilots or soil conservationists?"








You rule, Senator John F. Kennedy. (We shan't name where good Sen Kennedy make his infamous "volunteer to serve peace" speech. Needless to say, he WOULD'VE done it at Ohio State, but we were getting ready for a football game.)










Maybe Bay of Pigs would've worked out better if Woody Hayes had been is Sec Def instead of a weenie-pencil pusher MacNamara. Can you imagine? ("Don't be stupid, ya east-coast pinko! Ya gotta drive through them Cubanos! Now gimmie a big "Go CIA!")





Secretary of Defense Woody



Freakin' awesome...

2 comments:

M. said...

Hmmmm. I believe that the impromptu speech was held on the steps of the Student Union at the University of Michigan.

Thank you, Wikipedia. :)

M. said...

p.s. I love Woody, but he's no Bo.